It shall be unlawful for any person to own, operate, lease, control or drive a taxicab or limousine on the public streets and roads in the county or dispatch for hire on the public streets in the county without first obtaining a vehicle permit therefor as prescribed in this division; and, in the case of a driver who is not the operator, without such vehicle permit having first been obtained by the operator.
- Vehicles owned or operated by the county; or,
- Vehicles operated by another governmental agency; or,
- Vehicles owned by an organization or company for the sole purpose of transporting organization members or company employees; or
- Vehicles with capacity to seat more than fourteen (14) passengers.
- Pay to the county the local business tax receipt required by Chapter 1-10, Division 11, of the County Code;
- In the amount of one hundred twenty-five thousand dollars ($125,000.00) because of bodily injury to, or death of, one (1) person in any one (1) accident;
- Subject to such limits for one (1) person, in the amount of three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000.00) because of bodily injury to, or death of, two (2) or more persons in any one (1) accident; and
- In the amount of one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000.00) because of injury to, or destruction of, property of others in any one (1) accident.
- For each taxicab for which a permit is sought, file with the county administrator, or his/her designee, a current certificate of liability and property insurance from an insurance company with a Best rating of B or better and authorized to do business in the State of Florida. The policy of insurance evidenced by such certificate shall secure against loss sustained by reason of death or injury to persons and loss or damage to property, in the following amounts:
- The policy of insurance evidenced by such certificate also shall provide that, in the event of cancellation thereof, written notice shall be provided to the county administrator, or his/her designee, at least ten (10) days prior to the effective date of any such cancellation. In the instances where one (1) applicant submits applications for vehicle permits for more than one (1) taxicab, the certificate of insurance may be in the form of a fleet policy covering all taxicabs owned or operated by the applicant, which shall provide the same coverages as specified in this section for each such taxicab;
- For each taxicab for which a permit is sought, provide an inspection certificate in a form to be provided by the county administrator, or his/her designee, completed and signed by a mechanic approved by the county administrator, or his/her designee, which shows that such taxicab has passed inspection;
- Present each taxicab to the designated county office for photographing; and
- Pay to the county administrator a permit fee in the amount established by the board by resolution, which amount reflects the administrative costs involved.