Additional Shelters Will Open in Port Charlotte and North Port
CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. (Sept. 9, 2017) – Charlotte County shelters are currently at capacity. We are working with our neighbors in Sarasota County/North Port to provide additional shelters.
The following shelter locations have opened as of Sept. 9 at 12 p.m.:
- Heron Creek Middle School – 6501 W. Price Blvd., North Port
- North Port High School – 6400 W. Price Blvd., North Port
Shelters are not equipped to supply food, water or other provisions. If you evacuate to one of these shelters, plan to take the following items to sustain yourself and dependents:
- Two-day supply of non-perishable foods
- Two-day supply of drinking water
- A change of clothing, rain gear, and sturdy shoes
- Toiletries and personal items
- Blankets or sleeping bag, pillow, and lawn chair
- Games, toys, books, or other entertainment
- Special items needed for infants or elderly family members
- Any special dietary needs
- Battery operated radio and flashlight with extra batteries
- Any medications that you take
- Bring your families survival kit to ensure proper provisions
At this time Kingsway Elementary School and Liberty Elementary School are pet-friendly shelters for dogs and cats. Pet owners are liable for any/all damages which are caused by their pet. This includes, but is not limited to, property damage, animal bites, animal attacks, and any related injuries.
If you have a dog or cat, please bring the following in addition to what is shown above:
- Identification for your pet – include a current photo preferably one with you and your pet together.
- A crate and bedding large enough for your animal to move around in when contained in the crate, as well as hold water food and litter.
- A sheet to cover the crate to help relieve stress.
- A collar and leash or if needed a muzzle.
- 7 day supply of litter/food/water, including feeding bowls, & manual can openers if needed, as well as cleaning supplies - paper towels, newspapers, disinfectant, plastic bags.
- Medications & CURRENT MEDICAL RECORDS – be sure to include current vaccinations records, rabies tag and/or micro chip.
- Pet comfort items – toys, blankets, treats.
- Out of the area contact information which includes names addresses and phone numbers.
- You will be required to sign a release of liability at the time of entry into the shelter. Charlotte County reserves the right to deny access to any animal
Please keep in mind that capacity is limited but Charlotte County Emergency Management is working to accommodate as many residents as possible.
Media and public can follow Charlotte County Emergency Management important emergency information at