For Immediate Release
Contact: Crystal Diff, Historical Coordinator
Town of McCall Historic Marker Dedication
CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. (April 21, 2017) – The Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners will dedicate a new Charlotte County Historical Marker commemorating the town of McCall at 1:00 p.m. April 26 at Cape Haze Pioneer Trail Park, located at 1688 Gasparilla Road in Rotonda. Commissioner Stephen R. Deutsch and Diana Harris, a historical columnist for the Englewood Sun, will be the featured speakers.
The town of McCall was platted by the Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad in 1909, four years after a depot and section house were erected near the rail line. C.B. McCall, whom the town was named after, was the general freight and passenger agent at Boca Grande. This depot served as a stopping point between Mulberry to the port of Boca Grande. The town soon grew around this site to include churches, a school, post office, sawmill, turpentine camps and housing for workers and their families. By 1928, Arthur “A.C.” Frizzell purchased the property and demolished most of the buildings. Today, the last visible remnant of the town is the intersection of State Road 776 and County Road 771.
For information, call the Historical Center at 941-629-7278 or visit us at www.CharlotteCountyFL.gov — click Libraries & History under Popular Links and select Charlotte County Historical Center.