The purpose of this notice is to inform the building industry that effective July 1, 2017, new construction on residential buildings or dwelling units shall have mandatory Blower Door Testing (enacting Florida Building Code R101.4.9 and R402.4.1.2).
Tests will be accepted from the following individuals:
1. Individuals defined under FS 553.993 (5) or (7):
- a. Energy Rater or Energy Auditor.
- b. Currently certified through RESNET, Building Performance Institute or other approved agency.
2. Individuals licensed under FS 489.105 (3)(f), (g) or (i):
- a. Class A & B Air Conditioning Contractors and Mechanical Contractors.
- b. 489 licensed individuals must submit proof of education and certification from an approved agency for blower door testing.
To become registered with the Building Department, you must submit:
1. Proof of licensure and/or certification and/or qualification.
2. Proof of liability insurance.
3. Workman’s compensation insurance or exemption.
4. Proof of business tax receipt for the agency.
Blower door testing reports verifying seven (7) air changes per hour or less must be signed by the qualified individual who performed the test and submitted to the Building Construction Division office prior to scheduling final inspection. Tests can be hand delivered or emailed to PermitResubmittal@CharlotteCountyFL.gov.
**Note: If the report shows less than 3 air changes, mechanical ventilation will be required per Florida Building Code R303.4.
Thank you for your cooperation and attention to this notice. Please call 941.743.1201 or email BuildingConstruction@CharlotteCountyFL.gov if you have any questions.