Effective Monday, April 20, 2009
Charlotte County Building Construction Services has had an increase in questions surrounding substandard drywall or “Chinese Drywall”. As a result, we have developed a permit and process to handle these scenarios.
- Contractor/Owner removes all drywall and insulation and assesses extent of damage.
- Contractor/Owner applies for a “Substandard Drywall” permit. Application for permit shall have a floor plan of the building detailing the extent of repair work needed to include (building, mechanical, electrical, plumbing etc). Permit will be issued with a quick review at a fee of $200.
- Contractor/Owner should make the required repairs using the appropriate subcontractors as needed and prior to replacing the drywall, call for all rough inspections.
- Upon completion of rough inspections, Contractor/Owner may replace insulation.
- Contractor/Owner will then call for a wall insulation inspection. Upon approval of the insulation inspection, they should then replace the drywall.
- Complete repairs and call for all final inspections.
- Upon approval of final inspections, a Certificate of Completion will be issued for the property stating that the repairs were made appropriately.
- Any additional work performed in conjunction with this permit may require further plans review and/or plans changes and inspections.