The Oversight Committee serves as an advisory committee to the Board of County Commissioners on issues involving the acquisition, protection, management and use of environmentally sensitive lands.
The Environmentally Sensitive Lands Oversight Committee (ESLOC) meets quarterly on the third Monday of the month (January, March, July, October) at Centennial Park recreation center, 1120 Centennial Boulevard, Port Charlotte, 3:00 p.m.
The Oversight Committee is comprised of seven members who are residents and electors of Charlotte County. When possible, members are representative of each County Commission district. Each Oversight Committee member shall be appointed from one of the following categories:
- Two members with expertise in business, real estate or land development
- Three members with expertise relating to environment or in one of the natural sciences
- Two members representing civic, charitable or homeowners groups or recreational users of lands or other community interests.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Oversight Committee is charged with overseeing county staff’s implementation of the ecological criteria adopted in Ordinance # 2006-077 to identify environmentally sensitive lands; making recommendations to the Board regarding the identification of environmentally sensitive lands; recommending techniques for protecting, preserving, and enhancing environmentally sensitive lands; and making recommendation to the Board regarding the management and passive recreational use of environmentally sensitive lands.
The Oversight Committee shall have the following responsibilities:
- Verify that all parcels protected by the Conservation Charlotte Program continue to meet the land evaluation criteria at the time of protection
- Advise the Board on the management, restoration and/or public use of the protected property
- Review and provide feedback for Land Management Plans for the protected properties
- Review and provide feedback for short term action plans
- Alan Maki - Environmental Expertise
- Edward C. Toth - Business/Land Development
- Dianne Quilty - Community Representative
- Shaun O'Rourke - Environmental Expertise
- Benton Hester - III, Community Representative
- Commissioner Joseph Tiseo - BCC Liaison
- Jack Pryor - Environmental Expertise
- Derek Miller - Business/Land Development