Charlotte County, FL Logo

18500 Murdock Circle
Port Charlotte, FL 33948

Mobile Menu close icon
close search

Help Paying Bills

COVID-19 Financial Assistance

Rental and utility assistance

The Department of Children and Families (DCF) is offering rental and utility help through the Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program to households adversely affected by COVID-19.  To learn more and apply, visit or call DCF at 833.493.0594.

Mortgage and utility assistance

Charlotte County Human Services may be able to offer mortgage and utility assistance to households adversely affected by COVID-19.  Follow instructions below to access the Fastrack Program application. 

Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB)

The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) is a new federal program that provides a $50 monthly discount on internet service to qualifying low-income households.  To learn more and sign up, visit or call the EBB helpline at 833.511.0311.  Instructions for filing a paper application can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Fastrack Program

Your household may qualify for help paying rent, mortgage or utilities. Our Fastrack program allows you to fill out ONE application for multiple funding sources and grants that may help with bills and get things back on track. 

  • Each grant/funding source has its own eligibility requirements–if you don’t qualify for one program, you may qualify for others.
  • Services are most often determined by household income, but other factors are considered. 
  • Most programs require participants to be at or below a specific level of household income according to these Income Guidelines and provide certain documentation. 
  • Some programs require participation in short-, medium-, or long-term case management in order to qualify.
  • Funding availability may vary. 

Step 1: Gather your documents

Your Fastrack application is considered incomplete until all the documents are received. Before you start the online application, gather and be prepared to upload the following documents:

  • Proof of Charlotte County Address (driver license, state ID, lease, vehicle registration, voter registration card)
  • Valid Picture ID (not expired) of all household members 18 or older
  • Birth Certificates of all children in the household 17 or younger
  • Social Security Cards of all household members or Proof of citizenship (applicant must be U.S. citizen or legal alien)
  • Proof of income received within the last 30 days for all household members (Paystubs, Social Security Benefit Letter, Pension, Child Support, TANF, Unemployment)
  • Current food stamp benefit letter (if applicable)
  • Most recent utility bill
  • If asking for rent or mortgage, a valid lease and W-9 or current mortgage statement

Step 2: Complete the Fastrack application online

If you have an eviction notice, or if your water or electric has been turned off, submit your application and then email and let them know that you have submitted a Fastrack application and that you have an urgent need for assistance. 

Set ample time aside--completing your Fastrack application online may take up to 30 minutes. Be patient. If you run into any problems while completing the application or are unable to complete a Fastrack application online, call 941.833.6500 for assistance Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Step 3: Be patient and wait to be contacted

Once your Fastrack application is completed someone from the Human Services team will review your application and reach out to you by phone or email. It’s important that your contact information is correct on the application. A team member will reach out to you within 5 business days. 

You will be asked for verbal agreement to the following.  Forms are provided for your review:

Other forms that may be requested:

Additional Information

No money, cash, or checks will be requested or accepted from applicants or clients for services of any kind.  If an employee asks for money, report this to the agency Executive Director or Department Head.

Delivering Exceptional Service

Questions? Issues?

Contact Us