Installation of a new office or other commercial space utilizing a building built offsite and approved as being in compliance with the requirements of the Florida Building Code by the Department of Community Affairs (a division of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation).
Required Forms & Documents
- Application for Construction Permit (1 original signed): 1-page form
- Notice of Commencement (1 copy recorded): Any improvement for which the direct contract price is greater than $2,500. Must be submitted prior to scheduling the first inspection.
- Survey (2 copies or sets)
- Site Plan (2 copies or sets)
- Drawings/Plans/Engineering: DCA Approved plans
- Subcontractor Worksheet (1 original or copy): Submit if contractor is hiring a subcontractor to perform any electric, mechanical, plumbing or roofing.
- External Agency Approval: Other requirements will be specified during the site plan review process
- Elevation Certificate - "Final" (2 originals): prepared by a registered surveyor, is required if the property is within the Special Flood Hazard Area. The certificate must be submitted for approval prior to requesting any Final Inspections.
- Elevation Certificate - "Under Construction" (1 original): prepared by a registered surveyor, is required if the property is within a Special Flood Hazard Area. The certificate must be submitted for approval prior to requesting the Lintel Inspection.
- Affidavit - No Public Utility Structures On-Site (1 original): 1-page form notarized
- Affidavit - Fire Hydrant Accessibility/Location (1 original): 1-page form notarized
- Affidavit - Public Sewer, Private Septic & Water Service (1 original): 1-page form notarized
- CCUD or Health Department (1 copy): Either a Charlotte County Utilities Department (CCUD) application or approved septic permit from the Health Department.
- Landscaping and Trees: Landscaping plans (4) and Tree paperwork
- Additional paperwork: Site plan approval may be required prior to application for building permit. Additional stormwater permit may be required.
- Building Flat Fee: $200
- Surcharge: $4
- Address Assignment Fee: $15
- Zoning Review Fee: $65
- Tree Review Fee: $80
Licenses That Can Obtain This Permit Type
- Certified Building
- Certified General
- Registered Building
- Registered General
- Address Management: Verify that a property has an address and, if it does not, one is created (note: there is a fee of $15 to create a new address).
- Right-of-Way: A review the proposed work for impacts to the county right-of-way (ROW) and/or easements and determine what, if any, inspections will be required.
- Zoning: A review the proposed work for compliance with the land development regulations. This includes zoning, setbacks and any other regulations pertaining to the location and type of structure.
- Tree: Verify that trees proposed for removal are not Heritage Trees and ensure that the required amount of trees needed to be planted are indicated on the required drawings.
- Landscape: Verify that the proposed work is in compliance with the approved landscape plan or to approve a proposed landscape plan (commercial only).
- Natural Resources: Verify that the proposed work will not impact a protected species (such as scrub jays, gopher tortoises, etc.). This includes coastal lighting impact on sea turtles.
- Building Plans Examiner: A review of the proposed work to ensure that the structure will be in compliance with the applicable structural requirements of the Florida Building Code. This also includes wind loads and flood loads.
- Fire Marshall (if applicable): Ensure that the proposed structure or component will comply with the National Fire Prevention Code (NFPA).
- Utilities Department: Ensure that the applicable regulations are followed in relation to connecting to water or sewer service provided by Charlotte County Utilities Department (CCUD).
Typical Inspections/Certifications/As Builts
- Accessibility (900)
- Building Final (925): Made after all work is complete. Electrical, mechanical, plumbing, driveway and tree final inspections may be made prior to the building final inspection.
- Electric Final (935): Made once power is connected to the building, all electrical work has been completed and all electrical trim is installed.
- Electric Rough (300): Made after the installation of all electrical boxes and rough wiring.
- Fire Final (937)
- HVAC Final (945): Made after all connections and equipment are installed and complete.
- Landscaping (962)
- Plumbing Final (975): Made after all plumbing work has been completed and all fixtures installed.
- Plumbing Rough (700): Made after all rough piping is installed, including tubs, and the system is filled with water or pressure test is applied.
- Plumbing Water (702)
- ROW Final (985)
- Stormwater (988)
- Tie Down (208)
- Tree (960)
- Zoning Final (965)