New installation or replacement of any solar photovoltaic component on the ground or the roof of a commercial structure or the common areas of a multifamily structure.
Required Forms & Documents
- Application for Construction Permit (1 original signed & 1 copy): 1-page form
- Notice of Commencement (1 copy recorded): Any improvement for which the direct contract price is greater than $2,500. Must be submitted prior to scheduling the first inspection.
- Site Plan or Roof Layout Plan (3 copies or sets): Site plan required for ground installation. Roof layout required for roof installation.
- Construction Documents (3 copies or sets): Electrical diagram; manufacturers specification sheets or signed/sealed engineering; load calculations; and Affidavit of Roof Structure form.
- Affidavit of Solar Roof Structure (1 original & 2 copies)
- Building Flat Fee: $90
- Surcharge: $4
- Zoning Review: $20
Licenses That Can Pull This Permit Type
- Owner-Builder: Not more than $75,000 in cost. Must not rent or sell the property within one (1) year of completion of the permit.
- Certified Master Electrician
- Certified Solar Energy Specialty
- Certified Solar Systems
- Registered Master Electrician
- Zoning: A review the proposed work for compliance with the land development regulations. This includes zoning, setbacks and any other regulations pertaining to the location and type of structure.
- Fire Prevention: Ensure that the proposed system will compy with the National Fire Prevention Code (NFPA).
- Electrical Plans Examiner: Ensure that the proposed structure or component will comply with the electrical provisions of the National Electrical Code (NEC).
- Building Plans Examiner: A review of the proposed work to ensure that the structure will be in compliance with the applicable structural requirements of the Florida Building Code. This also includes wind loads and flood loads.
Typical Inspections/Certifications/As Builts
- Fire Final (937): Made after all work is complete.
- Electric Final (935): Once power is connected to the building, all electrical work has been completed and all electrical trim is installed.
- Building Final (925): Made after all work is complete. Electrical, mechanical, plumbing, driveway and tree final inspections may be made prior to the building final inspection.
Note: Fee payments by check should be made payable to either "CCBCC" or Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners. Payments are also accepted by Mastercard or Visa credit or debit cards.
Roof top installations require both Electrical Plans Examiner & Building Plans Examiner review stops. If installed on the ground, or other non-roof top area, the permit application will need Zoning, Electrical Plans Examiner & Building Plans Examiner review stops. If water is to be heated by the system, a Plumbing Plans Examiner review stop & a Plumbing Final inspection will need to be added to the review stops & inspections.