Charlotte County, FL Logo

18500 Murdock Circle
Port Charlotte, FL 33948

Mobile Menu close icon
close search

Residential Addition

Addition to a residential structure that increases the living space of the structure.

Required Forms & Documents

  • Construction Permit Application (1 original signed).
  • Tree Permit Application Package (1 original signed).
  • Notice of Commencement (NOC) (1 copy recorded). Any improvement for which the direct contract price is greater than $2,500. Must be submitted prior to scheduling the first inspection.
  • Survey (2 copies or sets)
  • Site Plan (2 copies or sets)
  • Drawings/Plans/Engineering (2 copies or sets): Complete drawings including mechanical, electrical & plumbing.
  • Energy Calculations (2 copies or sets): Signed energy calculations including Manual J. Make sure both owner agent and preparer's signatures are completed and one extra coversheet for submittal to the state.
  • 50 Percent Improvement or Damage Review Application (1 original): If property is in a flood hazard zone, a copy of an Elevation Certificate proving the structure is above the flood hazard elevation must be provided. Otherwise, this 50 Percent Review Form must be completed & submitted.
  • Subcontractor Worksheet (1 original or copy): Submit if contractor is hiring a subcontractor to perform any electric, mechanical, plumbing or roofing.
  • Elevation Certificate - "Under Construction" (1 original): Prepared by a registered surveyor, is required if the property is within a Special Flood Hazard Area. The certificate must be submitted for approval prior to requesting the Lintel Inspection. The document may be emailed to
  • Elevation Certificate - "Final" (2 originals): Prepared by a registered surveyor, is required if the property is within the Special Flood Hazard Area. The certificate must be submitted for approval prior to requesting any Final Inspections. The document may be emailed to
  • Affidavit - No Public Utility Structures On-Site (1 original): 1-page form
  • Affidavit - Public Sewer, Private Septic & Water Service (1 original): 1-page form
  • CCUD or Health Department (1 copy): Either a Charlotte County Utilities Department (CCUD) application or approved septic permit from the Health Department
  • Owner-Builder Permits Information: Please read this information about what & who may qualify for an Owner-Builder permit. An Owner-Builder Disclosure Statement form must be completed.
  • Owner-Builder Disclosure Statement (1 original, personally signed at the permit counter): Eligible Owner-Builders must complete this form in person at the time of application. Required by Florida law in order to be exempt from having to be a licensed contractor (sale, rental or lease of the property is prohibited for 1 year from permit completion).
  • Product Specifications: Product Approval Numbers for materials (e.g. windows, doors, roof covering, siding, soffits, etc.). Product approvals can be researched at (FL#'s) or (NOA #'s)
  • No Impact Certification: Required only if fill, new construction, substantial improvements, and other development within the adopted regulatory floodway is proposed. The certification shall demonstrate that the proposed encroachment would not result in any increase in flood levels.


On Application
  • Pre-App Fee: $150 if ICC valuation is $50,000 or greater
  • Building Flat Fee: $200 if ICC valuation is less than $50,000
  • Surcharge: $5 if Valuation is less than $50,000. If Valuation is $50,000 or more, the Surcharge = 0.025 x Building Fee
At Issuance
  • Building: 0.004 x ICC valuation if more than or equal to $50,000 in valuation - less the Pre-Application Fee)
  • Right-Of-Way Review: $90
  • Zoning Review: $50

Licenses That Can Pull This Permit Type

  • Owner-Builder: Must not rent or sell the property within one (1) year of completion of the permit.
  • Certified Building
  • Certified General
  • Certified Residential
  • Registered Building
  • Registered General
  • Registered Residential

Review Disciplines

  • Right-of-Way: A review the proposed work for impacts to the county right-of-way (ROW) and/or easements and determine what, if any, inspections will be required.
  • Zoning: A review the proposed work for compliance with the land development regulations. This includes zoning, setbacks and any other regulations pertaining to the location and type of structure.
  • 50 Percent: A review of improvements proposed to be made to a building located in a Flood Zone so that a comparison can be made between the cost of new & past cumulative work to the market value of the building. If the cost of cumulative improvements or damage repair exceeds 50 percent of the market value of the building, the building must be brought up to current floodplain management standards.
  • Building Plans Examiner: A review of the proposed work to ensure that the structure will be in compliance with the applicable structural requirements of the Florida Building Code. This also includes wind loads and flood loads.
  • Health Department: Ensure that the approval for a septic system is received prior to issuance of the permit (Note: this is a State of Florida & not a county government department).

Typical Inspections/Certifications/As Builts

Inspection Type (IVR System Code):
  • Building Final (925): Made after all work is complete. Electrical, mechanical, plumbing, driveway and tree final inspections may be made prior to the building final inspection.
  • Dry In (501)
  • Framing (200): Made after all construction is dried in and after all applicable rough electrical, plumbing, mechanical and gas inspections have been made. There should be no insulation installed prior to the inspection.
  • Insulation (281): Made once the required insulation is installed. Blown-in attic insulation will be inspection during the building final inspection.
  • Roof Decking (250)
  • Roof Final (955)
  • ROW Final (985)
  • Site Drainage (987)
  • Truss Profile Letter
  • Windborne Debris Protection (918)
  • Zoning Final (965)

Note: Fee payments by check should be made payable to either "CCBCC" or Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners. Payments are also accepted by Mastercard or Visa credit or debit cards.

Delivering Exceptional Service

Questions? Issues?

Contact Us