Permit for a fence located within a residential area that is NOT being used to protect a swimming pool (see Residential Baby Barrier permit type for pool protection requirements). Contact the Zoning office for height and location restrictions for each zoning district.
Permit exception: a permit is not required for fence enclosures of garbage containers or mechanical equipment with only 3 panels or less with one (1) gate. The enclosure must stay behind the leading living edge of the home and owner must obtain separate approval for encroaching into any easements.
Required Forms & Documents
- Application Package for a Residential Fence Permit One (1) original signed. Includes the Affidavit of Accessory Structures form.
- Site Plan: Two (2) copies or sets. Information required to be on a site plan submitted for permitting.
- Additional paperwork: One (1) original. If rental property, property owners written consent.
- Affidavit for Accessory Structures: One (1) original signed.
At Time of Issuance
- Zoning Review: $30
Note: Payments by check should be made payable to either "CCBCC" or Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners. Payments are also accepted by Mastercard or Visa credit or debit cards.
Licenses That Can Pull This Permit Type
- Owner-Builder - Must not rent or sell the property within one (1) year of completion of the permit.
- Certified Building
- Certified General
- Certified Residential - If residential
- Registered Building
- Registered Residential
- Intake/Sufficiency: A review of the application, and its required documents to verify completeness for acceptance and payment of initial fees.
- Zoning: A review the proposed work for compliance with the land development regulations. This includes zoning, setbacks and any other regulations pertaining to the location and type of structure.
- Permit Issuance: At this point, work may commence. The applicant will receive an approved copy of the permit package, and an Inspection Card to be posted at the site.
Inspection Type (IVR System Code):
- Zoning Final (965)