Replace, repair or re-cover a roof on an existing residential structure.
Exception: roof repairs less than 100 sq. ft. ("1 square") where the work does not include repairs to trusses or rafters does not require a permit.
Required Forms & Documents
- Application for Roof Modification Permit (1-page form) 1 original signed.
- Notice of Commencement (1 copy recorded): Any improvement for which the direct contract price is greater than $2,500. Must be submitted prior to scheduling the first inspection.
- Roof Plan(s) (2 copies): Plan or sketch indicating the scope & location of proposed work.
- Roof Re-Roof Inspection Affidavit (1 original): Affidavit may be used by both Licensed Contractors and Owner-Builders. Photographs are not necessary to be attached to the Affidavit. The completed form must be available at the job site for inspection & documentation.
- Residential Roof Permit Application Checklist: Checklist is for information only & is not a required submittal document.
- Top 10 Residential Roof Permit Application Mistakes: List of common application mistakes & how to resolve them.
- Top Residential Roof Inspection Mistakes: List of common inspection mistakes & how to solve them.
- Owner-Builder Disclosure Statement (1 original, signed in-person at the permit counter): Eligible Owner-Builders must complete this form in person at the time of application. Required by Florida law in order to be exempt from having to be a licensed contractor (sale or lease of the property is prohibited for 1 year from permit completion).
- Owner-Builder Permit Information: Please read this information about what & who may qualify for an Owner-Builder permit. An Owner-Builder Disclosure Statement form must be completed.
- Product Specifications: Product Approval Numbers for materials (e.g. windows, doors, roof covering, siding, soffits, etc.). Product approvals can be researched at floridabuilding.org/pr/pr_app_srch.aspx (FL#'s) or miamidade.gov/building/pc-search_app.asp (NOA #'s)
- Building Flat Fee: $90
- Surcharge: $4
Note: Payments by check should be made payable to either "CCBCC" or Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners. Payments are also accepted by Mastercard or Visa credit or debit cards.
Licenses That Can Pull This Permit Type
- Owner-Builder: Must not rent or sell the property within one (1) year of completion of the permit.
- Certified General: Must sub to a roofing contractor
- Certified Roofing
- Registered General: Must sub to a roofing contractor
- Registered Roofing
- Permit Issuance: At this point, work may commence. The applicant will receive an approved copy of the permit package, and an Inspection Card to be posted at the site.
Inspection Type (IVR System Code):
- Dry In (501)
- Roof Final (955)