The Code Compliance Section of the Planning & Zoning Division investigates non-anonymous reports of possible code violations such as:
- Junk-like conditions
- Abandoned motor vehicles (on private property)
- Abandoned watercraft
- Tall grass (except on vacant lots which is not a violation)
- Setback requirements
- Permit requirements
- Landscape inspections (commercial and residential)
- Sign inspections
- Commercial Changes of Occupancy
Report a Code, Licensing or Building Code Violation
Option 1: Use the online Citizen Access Portal and follow the instructions How to Report or Track a Code Violation Online.
Option 2: Call 941.743.1201 and a customer service specialist will submit the information for you.
Option 3: Send an email to CodeEnforcement@CharlotteCountyFL.gov. Please be aware that email addresses are subject to Florida's Open Records law.
Anonymous Code Violation Complaints
Due to Florida legislative changes in 2021, a code inspector may not initiate an investigation of a potential code violation based on an anonymous complaint. The only exceptions are if a violation pertains to an imminent threat to public health, safety, or welfare or imminent destruction of habitat or sensitive resources.
Report Illegal Dumping online or by phone to the Solid Waste Divison of Public Works at 1.866.Y.DUMP.CC or 866.938.6722.
- Chickens in Your Backyard Ordinance Course - IFAS Charlotte County
- Code of Laws and Ordinances
- Code Enforcement Brochure
- Code Compliance Video - End of a Long Process
- Commercial Code Enforcement Brochure
- Florida Landlord Tenant Law Brochure (Florida Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Services)
- File a Landlord/Tenant Complaint with the Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Service