Animal Control recognizes there are animals in our community who may pose serious threats if inadequately supervised or controlled by their caretakers.
Animal Control does not discriminate against the breed of any dog and all cases are investigated individually on their own merits.
Animal Control shall perform a thorough review prior to any animal being classified as a Level-I Threatening Animal or a Level-II Dangerous Animal and shall afford to any owner or caretaker the opportunity to request a hearing prior to any animal being deemed dangerous or threatening.
Citizens can call 941.833.5690, option 1 to report an aggressive animal in their neighborhood.
Level I Threatening Animals
- Attacked and/or injured a domestic animal
- Have approached a person, on or off of the owner’s property, upon the streets, sidewalks or any public grounds in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack.
- Impounded by Animal Control three (3) times
- Found to constitute in the opinion of the animal control director, a threat to public health or safety
- Was recommended by an animal control officer to be declared a "threatening animal".
Level I Animals:
- Grove Avenue - Port Charlotte (33952)
- Holdern Avenue - Port Charlotte (33952)
- Randolph Street - Port Charlotte (33952
Level II Dangerous Animals
- Attacked a person
- Killed or severely injured a domestic animal or was kept for the purpose of animal baiting or fighting
- Been a repeat offender under the “Threatening Animal” section