Charlotte County, FL Logo

18500 Murdock Circle
Port Charlotte, FL 33948

Mobile Menu close icon
close search

Repetitive Loss

A Repetitive Loss Property is defined by the National Flood Insurance Program as a property that is covered under a NFIP flood insurance policy and that has had two or more flood insurance claims of more than $1,000 paid within any 10-year period since 1978.

A Severe Repetitive Loss Property is defined as a residential property that is covered under a NFIP flood insurance policy and that:

  • has at least 4 NFIP claim payments (including building and contents) over $5,000 each and the cumulative amount of such claims payments exceeds $20,000,
  • for which at least two separate claims payments (building payments only) have been made with the cumulative amount of the building portion of such claims exceeding the market value of the building. At least two of the above referenced claims must have occurred within any 10-year period and must be greater than 10 days apart. 

Our GIS Division has developed a map showing the areas where repetitive flood claims have occurred. Specific flood loss claim- information is protected by the Federal Privacy Act of 1974, but we can identify the areas where repetitive flood loss claims occur. We have delineated these areas based on the following recommended criteria:

  • History of repetitive loss flood claims 
  • Similar exposure to a flood source 
  • Similar construction, including foundation
  • Similar age of structures, and 
  • Similar topography and/or drainage patterns

View the Charlotte County repetitive loss area flood map.

If you own a home or are purchasing a home in these areas, consider permanent protection measures such as:

  • Elevate your home or place of business above flood levels
  • Place your mechanical equipment above flood levels
  • Install flood openings in non-habitable areas to equalize the pressure of floodwaters
  • Remove furniture and valuables from lower enclosures

For more information on ways to protect your property, visit FEMA's Homeowner’s Guide to Retrofitting. If you have flood insurance through the NFIP, federal grants may be available to mitigate your property. You can find out more about FEMA’s grant program and the mitigation methods that qualify on

Delivering Exceptional Service

Questions? Issues?

Contact Us